iOratoria is an online public speaking competition organized by Fundación Educativa Activa-t and ESIC Business and marketing School and sponsored by Divina Pastora Seguros for young people from all over the world eager to voice their ideas and make a change.
This challenge provides a platform for speakers aged 12 to 19 to realize their potential, raise their voice, and share it with others.
iOratoria is an environment where speakers form all over the world have the opportunity to:
- Reflect about topics
- Voice their opinions
- Develop their communication skills
Speakers can give a speech in any way they wish, to be recorded as a video of 2 to 3 minutes in length and submitted online. The themes are set aiming to develop literacy and speaking skills. We want young people to organize their thoughts, put them to paper, and deliver them in an impactful manner.
Candidates are judged on their choice of material, comprehension and accuracy, organization, use of language, and presentation.
Participants submit to iOratoria a 2 to 3 minutes video of themselves delivering a speech on the given topic. Once the speeches have been valued by the judges, speakers will receive a personalized feedback report highlighting the strengths and areas of improvement identified in their speeches.
The top 35% speeches will qualify to the iOratoria Final Round.
Participants are required to read the registration guidelines for their age category and fill out the application form provided on the following link. When registering, each participant must provide his/her YouTube video’s link.REGISTRATION FORM
Anyone from the ages of 12 to 19 can take part in iOratoria.
There are two age categories, so participants can face those of a similar skill level to them. The categories are:
- 12 to 15 years old (born between 2008 and 2005): Junior category
- 16 to 19 years old (born between 2004 and 2001): Senior category
27/04/2020 Submission deadline to iOratoria
05/05/2020 Results announcement
11/05/2020 Submission deadline to iOratoria Grand Final
20/05/2020 Results announcement
The topics for the I Edition of iOratoria are:
iOratoria Phase I:
- Junior Category: My dream is to make the world a better place
- Senior Category: Think globally, act locally
iOratoria Grand Final:
- Junior Category: Nature is a common language
- Senior Category: Peace is not the absence of war
All participants in iOratoria will receive :
- an Evaluation Sheet and a Developmental Feedback Report
- a Participation Certificate.
- a Performance Recognition Certificate based on the tournament´s performance as follows:
- Top 15% – Gold Medal Certificate
- 16% – 35% – Silver Medal Certificate
- 36% – 60% – Bronze Medal Certificate
- Top 35% of the participants will go to the final round
Adjudicators play an integral part in that educational process, by providing constructive feedback to speakers after the competition. You can learn more about our pool of adjudicators at the end of this section.
The iOratoria assessment criteria consists of eight public speaking competencies, four relating to preparation and four to delivery. For each of the eight competencies, a set of specific performance criteria is provided for four levels of performance: fair, good, very good, and excellent. The eight competencies and corresponding performance criteria provide a comprehensive description of oral communication competency for the iOratoria context.iOratoria evaluation sheet
- Speeches submited by participants should be a minimum of 2 minutes and a maximum of 3 minutes.
- Speeches must have been originally prepared by the participant for iOratoria. If statistics and quotes are used, they must be referenced in the speech. Participants may be disqualified by the jury if plagiarism is found.
- Speeches must be delivered in English.
- Speeches must be related to the given topic.
- Speeches should not include any gender, racial, religion and cultural stereotypes, bias or any derogatory expression.
- Speeches must be clear, comprehensible and appropriate.
- All videos which are sent for iOratoria cannot be used in any other social media before the competition is held. All rights pertaining to the videos belong to iOratoria.
- Entrants cannot contact the judges before or during the competition and the judge’s decision is final.
- BEATRIZ DOMINGUES
- JESÚS BAENA
- MONIKA IZBANER
- PABLO LUIS NOCETE AGUILAR
Beatriz Domingues López is Hispanic philologist who has been working in debate for years. Her experience started in the Aula de Debate of the Universidad de Málaga, where she has been teacher, vicepresident and president and where she has recently been named honorary member. She has worked with children in different schools and public institutions from Málaga, Murcia and Valencia and she has also facilitated debate workshops for teachers to show them how to use debate as a pedagogical tool. She has won different prizes in debate competitions and her experience in debate is very wide since she has experienced the practice of debate from different perspectives; as debatient, event manager, directive, teacher, judge… Her knowledge and experience make Beatriz a good profile for this project.
Jesús Baena Criado is one of the most active researchers in Retórica in Spain. He is an experienced debate coach and debater and has worked the practice of debate with students in Spain and abroad. He is currently doing his PhD on the Inventio in Retórica at the Universidad de Málaga and works in Despiertoos (Málaga) as a political and communicative advisor. He also collaborates with different public and private institutions like the Universidad de Málaga, Red de Excelencia Docente, Universidad de Sevilla, Centro de Documentación Europea, Mancomunidad de Municipios de la Costa del Sol, Universidad Jean Moulin and ESIC among others promoting the debate as a teaching tool. He has won different prizes in debate competitions. His knowledge and experience make Jesús a good profile for this project.
Monika Izbaner defended her doctoral thesis in 2014. Her research interests include creativity and technological innovations in teaching, public speaking and debating and also British literature, politics and visual arts.
She is passionate about designing her own ELT materials. She has published articles devoted to creativity in ELT, Scottish culture and current trends in popular culture. Her main occupations are: High school No. 6 in Bydgoszcz (POLAND) and her own language school.
She has conducted workshops and talks for IATEFL Poland, Language Training Centre Lang Ltc in Warsaw, TESOL Macedonia-Thrace Northern Greece and International Study Programmes in Cheltenham, England. Moreover in 2016 she launched a project titled «Muskteers of Words”- workshops & Polish High School Oxford Debate Championships in English aiming at teaching young people debating in English, which was a novelty on Polish educational market.
Elementary school teacher and Master degree in Psychology of Social
Intervention of the University of Granada. Active from young ages in student representation, later involved in different social and political movements until our days.
The rhetoric and argued dialogue has always been among my interests, apart from their necessary use in the mentioned fields. The taste for speech leads me to examine it in both formal contexts (education, politics, communication…) and informal ones (daily relationships, entertainment contents…). Nowadays, as docent and educator, part of my labor consists on generating adapted, significant and attractive discourses oriented to each of the groups I interact with.